permaculture - RE: What happens in composting?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture@listserv. oit. unc. edu" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: What happens in composting?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 20:07:46 +1000

could you or some one explain to me in scientific terms the process of

composting. I understand how thermophylic bacteria work to produce compost

but what is the difference chemicaly between the begining product and the

end product? The bacteria use carbon, nitrogen and oxygen to grow but what

do they do to the organic matter so that after a couple of weeks the pile

does not heat up any more , what has happened? It begins as organic matter

and ends up the same but what is the difference?

Thanks

David Imisides

mailto: imos@ozemail.com.au