permaculture - Re: Permaculture and Modern Education

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: gardenbetty@earthlink.net
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Permaculture and Modern Education
  • Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 17:47:31 -0400

I live in Washington DC and one of the things I do is teach organic gardening
and greenhousing to a group of inner city high school students at Eastern HS.
We just received a small grant to grow our garden to provide produce to our
local AIDS feeding agency, Food and Friends. Having just completed my design
course in permaculture last week, I have just now begun creating a
permaculture design for the Eastern HS greenhouse and garden space. I will be
instructing the kids in pc principles and implementation as it happens,
beginning with a little agroforestry and water catchment so we can start
providing more food to meet our goal.

I work with an organization (GROW, Garden Resources of Washington) that works
to help folks beautify their low income neighborhoods and become self-
sufficient and food-secure through organic gardening and composting. I now
hope to provide permaculture technical assistance as well. At the very least I
want to begin to create urban pc designs for housing projects and community
gardens as part of my certification. Then I will hope that someone will be
generous enough to provide plants and materials for implementation. :)
Educating the communities about pc will be a big part of this plan.

I would LOVE to collaborate with any pc designers or apprentices in the DC
area. There is great need and little time, labor and resources.

dawn