permaculture - Internet Relay Chat article

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Rene and Lorraine van Raders" <rvraders@tpgi.com.au>
  • To: "PIJ" <pij@nor.com.au>
  • Cc: "pc discussion group" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Internet Relay Chat article
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 19:45:25 -0700

INTERNET RELAY CHAT
by Rene van Raders

Remember ham radio, well now there's internet relay chat. Type away in
real time with someone on the otherside of the world. While it is used
mostly for chatting and occasionally for cybersex, I think internet relay
chat has potential for keeping permaculture people in touch with each
other.

Here's how it works. You will need a connection to the internet of course,
and also some internet relay chat software. We use mIRC v5.02, which we
downloaded from our server's home page. Once you're connected to the
internet start up your IRC software. You will get a setup window, which
requires you to choose an IRC server... we are using IRCNet; you will also
need to type in your name, email address and a nickname. Then click on
"Connect to IRC Server".... all going well you should gain access to the
server and be shown a window listing available rooms to chat in. Type in
#permaculture and click on the "join" button. You'll now be in the
permaculture room (window) with several other permies.

You then have the option of typing to all in the room, or you can talk to
anyone present privately by double clicking on their nickname. This is a
great way to stay in touch... see you there live every Monday night 7.30pm
-11pm Australian Eastern Standard Time, on IRCNet. Email me if you have
any troubles getting connected.... vanraders@north.net.au. Those of you
at the other side of the world might like to choose a more sociable time to
talk to others in your neck of the woods.

  • Internet Relay Chat article, Rene and Lorraine van Raders, 08/03/1998