permaculture - Patterns in Nature & Intuition

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Diver" <steved@ncatark.uark.edu>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Patterns in Nature & Intuition
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 11:44:53 +0000

A short time ago ("Observations Afoot") somebody asked about
spittlebugs. A woman from Brazil replied with an intuitive response,
she referred to energetic imbalances on the Earth. That drew flack
from a permaculture man on this list who suggested that good old
common permaculture sense should not be neglected; i.e., he focused
on what we can learn from patterns in Nature.

To be fair, I felt like I could relate to both the intuitive
/energetic modalities angle as well as the practical
permaculture/patterns in Nature angle. I like both and I teach both.

But I don't recall that anybody answered the question about
spittlebugs.

In my estimation, spittlebugs do little damage to plants unless they
are attaching to a market herb or veggie crop in which case they
would be a nuissance in terms of salability requiring additional
steps to remove the spittle and washing the crop.

Still, the presence of an overabundance of spittlebugs begs the
questions:

*what is the role of spittlebugs in Nature
*what factors influence a heavy population of spittlebugs
*what patterns can we discern by observing spittlebugs, weather,
plants, ecology
*what action is required, if any, to adjust the environment away
from the presence of spittlebugs

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but don't
you think we should think like this?

All of this leads me to the Grandaddy LongLeg situation here in
the Ozarks. Me and my neighbors up on Markham Hill swear
we are being invaded by hordes-more-than-usual Grandaddy
LongLeg Spiders.

Hmm, I wonder what ecological factors influence the population of
these little guys? The hot dry conditions of early July make me
wonder if we'll get any more rain this summer. Are these
observations related? Again, no answers just questions.

Which all leads to the following post from the BDNOW list.
In the following post from Ferdinand, there is a mixture of
the intuitive as well as scientific.

Food for thought about ants and aphids and trees and
squirrels and nitrogen and BD 501.

Steve Diver