permaculture - RE: Starhawk on Eco-Spirituality

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <JohnS@STLabs.com>
  • To: "'permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu'" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Starhawk on Eco-Spirituality
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:58:13 -0700

Aloha,

some reflections on the Starhawk posting...

My suspicion is that these were, rather, people more/most able to
align themselves *with* / work *with* "unseen forces," rather than "bend or
shape" them "to their will." Actually trying to "bend and shape" larger
systems to "our will" rather than work with them is the part that always
seems to get us humans into the most trouble...hubris is hubris, whether
cloaked in science, religion, mysticism or what have you.

>...Within the circle, she asked each of us to look inward and name
the things
>we consider sacred. Then she asked us to think of what things in
our lives
>we might change to more fully honor these sacred things. And for
those of
>us already performing sacred work, ...

There may be a very important distinction here - "sacred" as an
adjective and "sacred" as an adverb. "Sacred" as an adverb might represent
ways of doing, "manners with which," that contribute to the continuation of
(for example) our species in a sustainable manner. "Sacred" as an adjective
might lead to any religious/political/social dogmas one cares to name or new
ones not yet brought forth (PC as dogma/religion - yikes! :-p).

For example - consider the consequences for cultures that held/hold
"things" as "sacred" and cultures that lived/live in a "sacred" manner
(whatever that may be...).

John Schinnerer