permaculture - Re: Water for Your farm(P.A. Yeomans) and Centuar design

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <FranksFarm@aol.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Water for Your farm(P.A. Yeomans) and Centuar design
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:18:36 EDT

Hi,

Very interesting!:)

Seems many top Australian farms are using such systems to their benefit.
Thanks to all for their responses.

A good deal of mention was made on the use of the Keyline Plow...a specially
designed plow that just loosens the top few inches without really turning over
the soil at depth( please correct me if I'm wrong...this is my understanding I
have never used or even seen one:))

Ok can some one tell me what these costs, what kind of tractor HP is needed in
clay soils.

Much of the forested land has fairly steep slopes...10% or so. I'd be very
leery of plowing up such hills even if you could get in amongst the trees with
a tractor, which you can't in most places. So how does one actually go about
setting up this system of dams, and catchment on such land.

I can understand how the keyline plows can be used to greater effect on
flatter land.

Must a series of internal farm roads be set up? isn't this expensive?

Thanks . You guys have been great. I definitely intend to use some of the
ideas you have given me on this. G'Day to all the kind responders in
Australia. frank