permaculture - Re: Teach PC!?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Teach PC!?
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:12:26 -0700

It is interesting to note that few (if any!) other languages have a
word for "it" as used in English-- not even European languages.Even
German, which has a third, "non-gender"form ( das), does not apply it
generically to all objects. Many objects are "masculine or feminine"in
this language ( and often inverted from Latin languages: the sun is
feminine, the moon masculine, contrary to Spanish, French,
Portuguese...) It must be a significant aspect of inner programming
that you call a tree "her" ( as in Portuguese, etc.) or "it" as in
English...In Permaculture works here in Brazil I find the sacred,
living, aspects of Nature are very near the surface for people, covered
by a thin veneer of recent materialism. Brazilians move into intuitive
and receptive mode very quickly, with a "great sigh of relief" , as if
this is more natural for them. ( The only resistent ones are those with
doctor`s degrees from the USA...)They work comfortably with all aspects
of the new paradigm ( where all is interconnected and alive) including
energetic ( invisible and difficult to explain) aspects --This explains
why a linear hierarchical information-passing mode of teaching in not
as effective for this temperament as a more integrative-type approach as
mentioned below ( unless the public is trained in US universities, in
which case the linear form funcions better). It may be a clue to PC
teachers to take a closer look at and respect mental structures created
by the language of their students...

Marsha Hanzi
Technical coordinator
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia