permaculture - hedgerow plants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Linda Felch <lfelch@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
  • To: UNC Permaculture List <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: hedgerow plants
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:47:13 -0500

A couple of suggestions in addition to those already made:
Autumn olive -- nitrogen fixing, edible berries, and good
bee forage
Cornus mas -- a dog wood with fruit the size of a quarter
that tastes like mango
Elderberry -- edible berries, happily tolerates wet feet
Currants -- fast growing, easily propagated (just put a
stick in the ground), tolerates wet, edible berries
Thornless blackberries -- yum!
rugosa rose -- pretty flowers, large hips (great source of
vitamin C & A), very spiny (good for keeping people/animals
out)

Sounds like you also have a reforestation project. You may
be able to get some help from the state on that by putting
your land under a forest conservation plan -- and you'll get
a tax break!

All of the above will do well in high clay soils. If you
would like some plants to propagate from let me know --
we're in northern Baltimore County just off of I-83.

For more plant ideas, try the Plants for a Future database:
http://www.sunsite.unc.edu/pfaf/D_search.html

Linda Felch
lfelch@jhu.edu
Baltimore, MD