permaculture - Re: Rhus clan

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: CK Valois/B Brummitt <lilacmn@eot.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Rhus clan
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 12:10:58 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Miekal...
Since our climates are similar, I thought I'd take a moment to respond to
this....

If you sheet mulch using some material such as cardboard boxes, birdseed
bags, grocery bags, or lots of newspaper first, and do it far enough out and
away from the parent plants, you can definitely squelch the poison ivy.
Staghorn sumac can be used as a good herb, as can prickly ash (which is one
of our most wonderful gifts)...The fruit (once dried and ground) can even be
used in Lebanese style cooking. Prickly ash is a great perimetre barrier,
along with its medicinal value.

We grow apples in close proximity to sumac, but it was inadvertant.

Hope all is well at DreamTime...got to get out there to visit some time...

Bruce

Cheryl Valois and Bruce Brummitt
<lilacmn@eot.com>
46N56' 95W20'