permaculture - Re: Rhus glabra / Guild

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FionaNyx <FionaNyx@aol.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Rhus glabra / Guild
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 23:13:46 EDT

According to a book I have on plant associations (American Plants for American
Gardens, by Edith Roberts and Elsa Rehmann, 1996), Rhus Glabra (Smooth
Sumach) is listed in two types of settings, open fields (hedgerows of), and
Juniper hillsides. In both, it is listed among the shrubs. There are over 3
pages of species listed for each which I'm not going to type in-- but maybe if
you reply with some of your options I can help you select among them.

Just to run through a few species-- raspberry & blueberry, viburnum, asters,
roses, veronica, achillea millefolium, monardas, lobelias, goldenrods,
cinquefoils, clovers, buttercups, violets, barberry, St.John's wort, and
ferns. To me, these species suggest a tolerance of poor soil, predominating
toward the acid.

Happy planting, ~~Sherry