permaculture - Re: Art/ Stop Farming Now

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Art/ Stop Farming Now
  • Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:30:27 -0800

There is something attractive about a farmer making things "firm", as
this is in fact the stable base of any economy , as Bloefield so
elegantly points out in "Pleasant Valley".
Ironically in Brazilian Portuguese we have no word for "farmer", other
than "produtor rural"-- rural producer. That also is a bit too
commercial-- farmer has more profound psychological meanings for us,
don`t you think? It has connotations of roots, which "rural
producer"does not have...

Marsha
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia
Brazil