permaculture - Re: MAI & PC campaigning

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: MAI & PC campaigning
  • Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:13:56 -0800

Stefania,
I also feel as you do. In addition to my general PC work, I have
just
joined Greenpeace, and am participating in anti-MAI programs, basically
informing people here in Brazil, which certainly will be one of the
countries hardest-hit by this new pact...Fortunately its deadline
signing time ( end April) has been put off, but surely the
Transnationals have not given up. They basically want to legalize what
they already are doing.... There is a moment where we have to stand up
and say NO! There is a point at which it is no longer enough to work
our backyards and the neighbor`s backyard, nor to create beautiful
ecovillages... The vast population of this planet wants a cleaner and
fairer management of the world-- we can no longer stand passively by
and let this takeover happen...I still think that the first fundamental
step is to have viable alternatives (PC)-- just protesting is not
enough..... But we also have to refuse to let this intrusion happen.
Perhaps the MAI-- in its blatant and absurd disregard for everything
which is decent ( basically MAI says that anything that interferes with
their profits-- be it environmental laws or human rights-- is illegle)--
will wake people up. The first reaction is always disbelief-- "That`s
impossible!" The second reaction is revolt. "How could they DARE to do
something like that!"Perhaps that`s what we need to be shaken our of our
lethargy and do something....
We have an excellent example from the McLIBEL case in England. The
corporation got so much negative advertising that they basically lost
the battle...

Marsha Hanzi
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia
BRazil