permaculture - Stop Farming Now, please

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Akiva Werbalowsky" <akivaw@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Stop Farming Now, please
  • Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 21:47:25 PST

The word "Farm" has as it's root <firme> which means a financial
payment, contract, or rent for the use of land.

Its meaning implies absentee "ownership" and has nothing to do with
healthy food, community, or environment. By using the words "farmer" or
"farming" we maintain and strengthen a relationship paradigm
incompatible with optimal wellness.

I recommend using words such as "grower" instead of farmer, and letting
others know how important this word-knowledge can be.

Can we re-cultivate a respect and appreciation for natural resources
with a stewardship rather than an ownership mentality, like many native
cultures? It's all about balance and timing, and I believe NOW is a good
time to rebalance our most basic cultural concepts.

Word, sound, power.

In good humus,
Akiva