permaculture - Re: Poison Oak

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Arthur Rodriguez <artrod@ptd.net>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Poison Oak
  • Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 07:27:16 -0500

Hi John,

I don't really have any advise regarding removing the poison oak other than
by hand to a remote area, but I do have some ways to prevent getting it.

Wear gloves, long sleeves and long pants even when its hot. Be very
careful when its hot that you don't wipe sweat off of your face or neck
because once you do and you put the oils on that skin the sweat will carry
it on down your body. Do not go inside or touch anything else until you
are done all you are going to clear.

When your done clearing for the day take all of your clothes off outside or
just inside the door. Don't touch anything in your house where the oil can
sit waiting to touch skin. Particularly don't sit on upholstered furniture
or bedding.

Throw all the clothes in the wash by them selves. Even though its a small
load and will waste some water, there are times when necessity prevails.
Wash in Hot water with a strong detergent. Then take a shower. You can
buy Felsneptha bar laundry detergent in most grocery stores. Use this soap
to wash your body and hands. Its a little harsh but it really gets the
poison oils off of you. Pay particular attention to wrists, ankles and
spaces where stray matter may have slipped in.

Good Luck

Rebekah