permaculture - Re: Synergistic enterprises and the testing guidelines (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Victor Guest <vic@daena.eepo.com.au>
  • To: Permaculture WA <perma@eepo.com.au>
  • Subject: Re: Synergistic enterprises and the testing guidelines (fwd)
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:17:23 WST

Subject: Re: Synergistic enterprises and the testing guidelines
To: Recipients of CHRM-GENERAL <chrm-general@igc.apc.org>

In the context of managing for synergistic effects, I suggest that this
discussion is too restrictive.
First, the virtuous circle/vicious cycle dichotomy--there is no
way we can really completely anticipate all of the sequelae of any action,
but if an action passes the HM tests it will likely accomplish its task
(particularly with the "assume it is wrong" test); if the proposed action
fails the tests, it will probably not. During the "accomplishment" of the
task, countless events beyond our direct control occur...the generally
positive events accruing to the test-passing-activities, generally negative
events for those which fail the testing guidelines.

When I started managing my grazing (in 1984), my goal was better
animal performance and lower cost. Until I was shown other consequences:
improvement in soil structure, improvement in riparian conditions,
improvement in humus, improvement in endangered species, etc, I couldn't
have known that I should have anticipated them. I was a little embarrassed
that I hadn't seen them, but I wasn't really surprised, because I was
working to improve the health of all of the ecosystem blocks. Conversely,
when I fertilized my hay fields with ammonium sulfate with the goal of
improving production, I WAS surprised when my field's soil began to
resemble concrete; because I was focussed on making more hay...period.
My second point is that people aren't intentionally stupid. Once they
have broken free of whatever mental blocks which constrained them, they get
pretty creative. Once the thought of planting trees has emerged, they will
begin to think, "what variety?"..."what varietIES?"..."what species? "bugs!
bats! lumber! fruit! ad inf!!". Healthily brainstorming and positive
attitude can be pretty far ranging in its creativity and opportunity for
intentional synergy.
Agriculture appeals to me because of the multiple approximations,
the successive iterations, possible in my efforts to achieve success as the
seasons revolve. Constantly working to do things better, fairly confident
that I've done my best to make sound decisions, humbled by my alertness to
see where I screwed up (or at least could do something even better next
time)...transcends the need for a guideline or dogma to REMEMBER SYNERGISM!
If I wasn't aware of the potential for positive synergism, I wouldn't be
making the best decisions I could.
Frank