permaculture - NAVY TO BLAST WHALES (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@sunsite.unc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: NAVY TO BLAST WHALES (fwd)
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 13:20:07 -0500 (EST)

http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london InterGarden
london@sunSITE.unc.edu llondon@bellsouth.net
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 15:50:58 -0800
From: donald trotter <curly@mill.net>
To: sanet-mg@shasta.ces.ncsu.edu
Subject: NAVY TO BLAST WHALES

>Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 17:28:03 +0000
>From: Darby Davis <awarenessmag@earthlink.net>

Hi Saneters!

I am forwarding this article from one of the magazines that I write for. I
realize this has little to do with sustainable agriculture but we're all
environmentalists here and this is a very disturbing subject. further
information can be obtained via Awareness magazine's website at
www.awarnessmag.com

Organically yours,
Donald W. Trotter Ph.D.
The Organic Gardener's Resource Centre

>Subject: NAVY TO BLAST WHALES
>norway.it.earthlink.net id PAA29169
>
>NEWS FLASH from
>AWARENESS MAGAZINE
>As we were going to press last week, this unbelievable story came to our
>attention through one of our readers on the East Coast. Since that
>time, we have been in contact with Mary and Lanny Sinkin of the Light
>Worker Center in Hilo, Hawaii, who have been keeping us updated as the
>events unfolded.
>Chris Reid, ICERC, Hawaii Lightspirit Foundation, has been rounding up
>volunteers, divers, swimmers, boats etc. to challenge the Navy. An
>amazing effort is underway to protect these wondrous creatures.
>Please read the following e-mails and respond in whatever way you can.
>E-mail or FAX everyone you know! It is time that we stood up against
>our government officials and let them know THIS IS NOT OK!!!
>ICERC is a very small non-profit group, operating with volunteers and
>only the cash contributions they receive. Awareness Magazine has sent
>$200 to assist in this operation. Any contribution you may be able to
>make would be appreciated. Make checks payable to ICERC Hawaii, and
>mail to Chris Reid, P.O. Box 1598, Kealakekua, HI 96750. Your
>contribution will go 100% toward the efforts to stop the Navy's sonar
>testing.
>

>HELP STOP THE INSANITY!
>U.S. Navy Set To Blast Humpbacks
>Literally, as we were going to press, I received this e-mail, and
>numerous subsequent follow-ups from concerned readers of Awareness
>Magazine across the country. Since we are scheduled to go on the press
>within only a couple of hours, we have made every possible attempt to
>publish the most current information available concerning this tragic
>situation in Hawaii.
>
>FEBRUARY 24 (11:45 A.M.) - LFA Sonar (Low Frequency Active Sonar)
>testing is to begin by the Navy on February 25 off the Northwest coast
>of the Big Island of Hawaii, right in the heart of the Humpback Whale
>birthing and breeding season, and is expected to last for four weeks.
>For those of you who don't know what LFA Sonar is, please see the
>National Resources Defense Council's website nrdcinfo@nrd.org.
>In a nutshell, the tests consist of blasting whales and any other marine
>life within the area with sounds up to 230db. This is up to 100 times
>the noise of a 747 taking off. Also remember the whales' primary sense
>is not sight like us, but hearing.
>It is not an accident that the Navy has chosen that location or this
>time of year as they are specifically bombarding singing adult Humpback
>Whales with extremely loud sound to see the effects. It is intentionally
>designed to see what the disruption will be.
>The Navy only lacks a permit from the State of Hawaii Department of Land
>and Natural Resources (DNLR), whose Chairman, Mike Wilson, was to rule
>on shortly. The Navy has asked Mr. Wilson for immunity from any and all
> [...]

Donald Trotter
The Organic Resource Centre
293 Neptune Ave.
Encinitas, CA. 92024