permaculture - Re: Pattern and difference

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pattern and difference
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 08:42:06 +1000

Milo, well said. I am currently passing through a new phase in our
implementation.
The first phase seemed so busy, designing and laying out beds and planting
trees and
herbs and foodstuffs, then we ate as we sowed now, I am in a bit of a
comfort stop.
I could lie in the hammock or I could really look at the patterns again,
what works and what doesn't.
I am currently struggling with the notions of allowing plants to set seed
and
yet mulching out those seeds ('weeds') I don't want to germinate. I've
got different mulches
for different functions now. Not all mulches are equal. I have really
enjoyed the discussion on
living mulch's capacity to absorb or rob infra-red light from the floor
below, and resulting in suppressing germination
of unwanted plants. And living mulch doesn't need renewing as does the dead
stuff, although more leaves are
falling because there is more canopy now (4 years on in implementation)
It is all a big whirlwind of patterns and dynamics and needs and
opportunities.
April