permaculture - Re: soil contam.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jack Rowe <jackrowe@compuserve.com>
  • To: UNC Perm List <permaculture@listserv.unc.edu>, Envirolink Perm List <permaculture@envirolink.org>
  • Subject: Re: soil contam.
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 11:46:18 -0500

Sherry Levi (sp?... erased too soon again) mentioned the need for info on
"dealing with types of soil contamination common to urban areas."

An interesting de-contam idea I heard from a Bioneer's speaker couple/three
years back (wish I could remember the name), was based on idea that
microorganisms present in highly-contaminated soil must be able to
metabolize organic toxins present or they'd be dead. Dramatic success came
from tenting (to prevent volatilization to air) and then fertilizing and
tilling regularly to aerate and encourage the microorgs. More of Nature's
resilience... lead and other metals would be a different question.

Jack Rowe

  • Re: soil contam., Jack Rowe, 01/30/1998