permaculture - Re: labeling (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rex Harrill <brixman@erols.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: labeling (fwd)
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 08:16:44 -0500

Lawrence F. London, Jr. forwarded:

> Labeling products to indicate the sustainability of their production,
> processing and distribution is potentially a powerful means toward driving
> more ecologically sound, socially just and regionally-based development.
> Recently there has been a surge of interest in these ecolabels, social
> labels and regional labels as ways to differentiate products in the market
> place.

Most of the fruit in the supermarkets where I shop now has little sticky
labels with a specific number. So far, I have not found out what the number
signifies. My thought: instead of trying to label strictly organic foods,
what's wrong with labeling ALL food if that is now possible? Then the
customer could see what had been applied to the items they wish to eat. Of
course I realize it would be difficult to put some of those inordinately long
chemical names on a little sticker, but they could post a long description
above the bins or they could adopt coded names for poisons (like "MAL" for
Malathion).

Yeah, let's label it all and let the public decide.

Rex Harrill
ps---anybody know what those numbers mean?