permaculture - Re: Effect of new labeling rules on farmers who are not organic (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@sunsite.unc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Effect of new labeling rules on farmers who are not organic (fwd)
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 11:49:54 -0500 (EST)

http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london InterGarden
london@sunSITE.unc.edu llondon@bellsouth.net
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 23:47:02 -0600
From: "Douglas M. Hinds" <dmhinds@acnet.net>
Cc: sanet-mg@shasta.ces.ncsu.edu
kstoner@caes.state.ct.us wrote:
> In short, the proposed rule would remove ability to label food for steps
> toward
> more sustainable production. Either the food is organic, or it has to be
> marketed without any claim toward sustainability. This would, I think,
> widen
> the gulf between certified organic farmers and those who may have very
> similar
> farming practices but choose not to be certified as organic.

One of the main points I've been trying to make is that OFPA drives a wedge in
deeper between organic agriculture and the rest of the food production
system. It
isolates it. It cuts it off from where it wants to go. I know for a a fact
that a
number of major distributors of organic products do NOT want organic produce
to be
widely available, in order to keep prices high. There's no question about
OFPA's
catering to that kind of mentality. Under the pretext of providing a
consistent
nationwide definition for organic products, a wall was bing erected, and that
wall
should be torn down before the barbed wire is put in place (that means now).
Who in
hell has the right to say that someone (anyone) can't define his own product
in his
own terms, if no fraud is involved. This is pure garbage. Trash OFPA and
start
over.

> Kim Stoner
> CT Agricultural Experiment Station
> P.O. Box 1106
> New Haven, CT 06504
Douglas M. Hinds, Director General
Centro para el Desarrollo Comunitario y Rural A.C. (CeDeCoR)
(Center for Community and Rural Development) - (non profit)
Cd. Guzman, Jalisco 49000 MEXICO
Tel. & Fax: 011 523 412 6308 (direct)
e-mail: cedecor@ipnet.com.mx, dmhinds@acnet.net, dhinds@ucol.mx