permaculture - Re: Govt "Organic" Stds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@sunsite.unc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Govt "Organic" Stds
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:19:23 -0500 (EST)

http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london InterGarden
http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london/permaculture.html
london@sunSITE.unc.edu llondon@bellsouth.net

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, FionaNyx wrote:

> What makes me mad is:
> 1) Companies capitalizing on the reputation that has been painstakingly
> constructed without following the principles (use the name, not the spirit).
> 2) Running small organic operations out of business with the costs of
> certification.

And stealing their rightful market share outright by 2)above and
undercutting them through their ability to grow it cheaper (but not
better, necessarily) and sell it cheaper.

> If the corporations want this to happen it's going to happen. The best we
> can
> do is make a big stink to inform the consumers who pay attention. They can
> steal our name, but they can't have our soul...
>
> The agrobusiness corporations who are stepping into the market for organic
> products have enough money to fight indefinitely. Why waste our energy
> fighting this? Maybe it's not a bad thing for them to create a market for
> farm production that is better than a lot of what happens now. Maybe we
> just
> need to pick a new name for what we do so we can distinguish us from them--
> like Beyondorganic or Greenfood or Handgrown or Earthfriendly...

Labelling using the words natural, ecological,
sustainable or biointensive or use of the BuyGreen label (see info below):

Jeanne A. Nye
nyej@vt.edu
VABF Project Coordinator
BuyGreen Virginia Partnership