permaculture - Re: Roof Gardens

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Katherine Waser <kwaser@ag.Arizona.EDU>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Roof Gardens
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 09:37:04 -0700

Paul,

You might want to contact the folks at The Urban Agriculture Network (TUAN)
in Washington, D.C. I just published an issue of the Arid Lands Newsletter
on the topic of urban agriculture in drylands, and I found them most
helpful. Their focus is more on the food-growing end of things than on the
architectural end of things, but I bet they would at the very least be able
to provide some leads for you. They are a terrific organization! Here's a
contact address:

Jac Smit
President, Urban Agriculture Network
1711 Lamont St., N.W.
Washington D.C. 20010
Phone: (202) 483-8130
FAX: (202) 986-6732
E-mail: 72144.3446@compuserve.com

I found him quite willing to give information, although he might be a bit
hard to get hold of. Phone contact seems to work better than email.

Also, you might want to take a look at the annotated list of resources on
urban agriculture that I prepared for the urban ag issue of ALN:

http://ag.arizona.edu/OALS/ALN/ALN42/resources42.html

I spent many hours looking at web sites & pages and this list contains
those I felt were the best sources of information on urban agriculture as a
whole; there are also some books listed. It might provide you with some leads.

Good luck on the project, which sounds most interesting!

Regards,

Katherine Waser

At 04:19 AM 1/8/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello all:
>
>We at the City of Port Phillip (inner suburbs of Melbourne) recently
>received a government urban design grant to undertake a research project on
>the concept and practicalities of roof gardens in the inner urban context.
<snip>

Katherine Waser, Editor Tel: 520-621-8584
Arid Lands Information Center Fax: 520-621-3816
The University of Arizona E-mail: kwaser@ag.arizona.edu
1955 E. 6th St.
Tucson, AZ 85719-5224