permaculture - Re: Fw: Help design this orchard

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm <FranksFarm@aol.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Fw: Help design this orchard
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 14:30:50 EST

Hi,
In a message dated 12/23/97 7:35:03 AM, rvraders@tpgi.com.au? wrote:

<<Neat rows are convenient for harvest and maintenance, but aren't very

aesthetic, nor earth friendly. Certainly other patterns will work, but

they will do better with careful design to ensure harvest and maintenance

are still easy. Most trees are affected by competion (bare ground can

increase yields... however the down sides are many). A forest garden will

usually show reduced yields of your main crop, offset by other yields.

However a field planted with companions ( a few species selected to work

well with your main crop) should not impact negatively on the crop, and

also provide additonal yields.
Look to the pattern of nature in your area (spacings etc) and from the area

the crop originally comes from.>>

My question to Rene and Lorriane and all is this. First I tend to agree with
the above comments, but just what are the patterns, and the spacings involved?
I've seen so many posts that espouse ideas like this , but few that give
actual details.
It seems that we must also keep in mind "labor" requirements in any such
operation else how can we profitably sustain it...unless we have free labor of
family , friends, and our own sweat.
Love to hear more about these patterns.
I have been deeply influenced by Fukuoka's " The Natural Way of farming" and
would like to adapt some of his ideas on my homestead farm.
Thanks. Happy Holidays to all. frank