permaculture - rodent vs.Robinia pseudo-acacia (var. Haudenosaunee)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: William Bryan Evans <williamevans@home.com>
  • To: Permaculture WA <perma@eepo.com.au>
  • Subject: rodent vs.Robinia pseudo-acacia (var. Haudenosaunee)
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 11:03:08 -0800

I'm planning on starting a woodlot here in Southern California
(three miles from Mexico and 35 miles from Pacific Ocean 750meters
above sea level). The site was covered with chapparal until a fire went
through 2 years ago. I'd like to plant Black Locust. This particular
strain (Haudenosaunee) is noted for its excurrent nature. Since Locust
is very rot resistant and strong (so I have read) I figure this should
be a valuable commodity in a few years or so. THe trees also send out
suckers and sprouts anew after logging. Ammending the soil I have no
problem with(calcitic lime and kelp), it is all those burrowing critters
that have me worried. I know that above ground I'll have to provide a
screen barrier to keep Bugs Bunny and friends at bay, It's below ground
I'm not to sure about. I plan on setting out established trees in one
maybe three gallon cans in a couple of seasons. Any thoughts on rodents
attraction to roots would be greatly appreaciated.(The ground is
pockmarked with burrows).
note: source for this seed is in New York State, I will post it as
soon as I clean my desk, sorry.

Sincerely Bill Evans

  • rodent vs.Robinia pseudo-acacia (var. Haudenosaunee), William Bryan Evans, 11/15/1997