permaculture - re: non-natives

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>, "permaculture@sunsite.unc.edu" <permaculture@suns8te.unc.edu>, <UrbanHarve@aol.com>, "Envirolink Perm List" <permaculture@envirolink.org>
  • Subject: re: non-natives
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:48:32 +1100

In  Australia we have some remaining people living on native foods (our native people)
but if we all packed up and moved into the forests it would be denuded with a day.
The hard line greenies would be shooting at us exotic people too.

The hardest times in permaculture are when I get criticisms from conservation groups (where I grew from)
for planting native species for my own selfish purposes!!!
The concept of tribal people eating seed and tubers, native animals is also part of the push towards
this is called 'untouched' wildreness.  People come to Australia to see the fantastic dense and
wild rainforests, not realising that the people of this forest have been slaughtered or moved on.
How far back are we going to go? get rid of bumble bees?  reintroduce Dinsosaurs?
Last week I copped flack from a conservationist because I had Warrigal greens in my garden (they
are a great native veggie, soft, perrenial green) and she claimed "it is exotic because it belongs 7 km east of here!!!"

I think permaculture has to promote more its care for people, their nutrition and well being,
and not just talk about plants.

I meet people in horticulture who love plants more than people.  One guy told me it is because plants don't argue back!!!

Of course, lets preserve what is there (with the spirits of those gone) and rebuild WITH all the globes people in the picture.
Conserved forests are still a luxury of the wealthy,  when we move to more sustainable agriculture,
it will be common place for all.
April

April Sampson-Kelly ADPA,BCA,MCA,GradSci,PDC
LC permaculture Visions
askpv@ozemail.com.au
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv
GOOD PLANETS ARE HARD TO FIND