permaculture - Re: Passive Solar Greenhouses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Diver" <steved@ncatark.uark.edu>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu, permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Passive Solar Greenhouses
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 10:48:57 +0000

When people say they want information on "permaculture gardening",
or "permaculture farming", or "information about solar greenhouses
from a permaculture perspective", I always ask them what they invision
such systems to be like.......in comparison to regular "gardening",
"farming", or "solar greenhouses."

There is a mountain of information on solar greenhouses, but
to distill this down it is helpful to know what your're hoping for
or looking for....and, what resources do you already have?

Thus, I wonder what your take on solar greenhouses from a permaculture
perspective might be? What would be the minimum features or design
parameters that would shift a regular solar greenhouse into a
permaculture-oriented solar greenhouse for you?

Secondly, are you talking about an attached greenhouse primarily
intended for family consumption, or is this a commercial-scale
greenhouse (attached or free-standing) intended as a transplant
greenhouse for a market garden or truck farm, or as a full-time
grow-out greenhouse operation (veggies, flowers, herbs)?

Thirdly, is there a particular production system you have in
mind inside the greenhouse?

Steve Diver

--
steved@ncatark.uark.edu