permaculture - reminder

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Victor Guest <vic@daena.eepo.com.au>
  • To: Permaculture WA <perma@eepo.com.au>
  • Subject: reminder
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 12:00:19 WST

I have added Holistic Management to the topic list for Permaculture as a
an expansion of tools for Permaculture and in recognition of the
possibilities of expanding the scope of Permaculture into broad acre
farming. Also the contribution that Holistic Management may make in the
sociological needs of Permaculture Communities.

Vic Guest.

of Western Australia (PAWA), formed for discussion and communication between
permaculturists in Western Australia (and other interested parties).

We welcome your input and we invite you to join us in encouraging people all
over the world to discover permaculture for themselves. The following topic
list gives some idea of the wide range we attempt to cover ...

Agricultural History Alternative Economics Bio-regionalism
Community Aid Community Building Community Forestry
Ecology Economic Regionalism Energy
Enviro Contamination Enviro Education Enviro Ethics
Enviro Investment Food Production Green Business
Healthy Cities LETS Landscape Architecture
Legislative Inititives Ongoing Projects Organics
Pattern Language Population Growth Project Finance
Recycling Self-help Sustainability
Sustainable Agriculture The Environment Town Planning
Urban Planning Waste Management Water Purification

Holistic Management

... but this list is by no means definitive. Be imaginative!!
(topic list stolen shamelessly from Mike Smith <auhicmds@ibmmail.com> :-)

A Definition Of Permaculture
----------------------------
Permaculture ("Perma"nent agri"culture" and "Perma"nent "culture") is a
sustainable design system stressing the harmonious interrelationship of
humans, plants, animals and the Earth. To paraphrase the founder of
Permaculture, designer Bill Mollison:

Permaculture principles focus on thoughtful designs for small-
scale intensive systems which are labour efficient and which
use biological resources instead of fossil fuels. Designs
stress ecological connections and closed energy and material
loops. The core of permaculture is design and the working
relationships and connections between all things. Each
component in a system performs multiple functions, and each
function is supported by many elements. Key to efficient
design is observation and replication of natural ecosystems,
where designers maximize diversity with polycultures, stress
efficient energy planning for houses and settlements, use and
accelerate natural plant succession and increase the highly
productive "edge-zones" within the system.

Permaculture designs have been successfully and widely implemented in
third-world countries, but there is current need to expand these
principles in temperate climates, and especially urban areas to create
more enjoyable and sustainable human habitats.

-- Dr. Lee Barnes,
The Permaculture Connections: Southeastern Permaculture Network News

Local Organisations
-------------------
PAWA -
Possibly one of the largest groups of permaculturists in the world with in
excess of 1000 on our books. Our location in Western Australia affords us
great diversity too, from temperate Albany on the south coast to Kununurra
in the tropical north. Many PAWA members are participants on this list.

PERMALETS (WA) -
A Local Exchange Trading System (LETS), maintained by and for participants
in the Western Australian permaculture movement.

PIWA -
*** PIWA is the Permaculture Institute of Western Australia and they are
*** responsible for all education and certification. . .

World Wide Web (WWW)
--------------------
Those blessed with WWW access may like to browse our web pages
at - http://www.eepo.com.au/permacul.html
and http://www.cowan.edu.au/~paustin/ipc6 for the proceedings of the
Permaculture Convergence on line

Your contributions to the web pages may be sent to this list for dissection,
torture and humiliation (or is that still called editing?)

List details
(send "HELP" in the *body* of the message for listserver details)
or you may subscribe online at http://www.eepo.com.au/permacul.html

Regards,
Vic
--
Victor Guest V.G.Guest Perth, Western Australia
victor.guest@eepo.com.au 11 Carew Place Greenwood 6024
http://www.cowan.edu.au/~paustin/ipc6 for the proceedings of the
Permaculture Convergence on line

  • reminder, Victor Guest, 10/18/1997
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: reminder, Steve Mitten, 10/20/1997