permaculture - LADYBUG, QUICKLY FLY AWAY HOME!; Added Info (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@sunsite.unc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: LADYBUG, QUICKLY FLY AWAY HOME!; Added Info (fwd)
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 22:07:42 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 12:07:36 AST
From: "Daniel D. Worley" <dan.worley@juno.com>
To: sanet-mg@shasta.ces.ncsu.edu
Cc: blazing@igc.apc.org
Subject: LADYBUG, QUICKLY FLY AWAY HOME!; Added Info

The following addendum to the subject article was received from Dr.
Gilbert and is being passed on for reference purposes.

====================

Further to "Ladybug, quickly fly away home!" by Claire Gilbert,
Ph.D.

I received a flood of inquiries as a result of my article,
"Ladybug, quickly fly away home!" The following is a basic
reference. The article in the London Times was was based upon the
research of Birch, et al.

A.N.E. Birch, I.E. Geoghegan, M.E.N. Majerus, C. Hackette, &
J. Allen, "Interactions between plant resistance genes, pest aphid
populations and beneficial aphid predators," Scottish Crop Research
Institute (SCRI) Annual Report 1996-1997, esp. pp 70-72.

SCRI is located at Invergowrie, Dundee DD2 5DA.

Telephone: National (01382) 572731
International +44 1382 562731

Fax: National (01382) 562426
International +44 1382 562426

The potatoes were transgenic, using an anti-insect gene encoding
for the snowdrop lectin (Galanthus nivalis agglutinin - GNA).

A numer of ecological "fitness indicators" were used to monitor the
ladybirds fed on aphids from control or GNA potatoes.

Blazing Tattles. Indonesian & Brazilian fire updates @
<http://www.concentric.net/~Blazingt>. Limited time sample: Send
#10 envelope w/32 cent stamp on it; non-U.S. get postal coupon; to
P.O. Box 1073, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019, USA. Phone: (650) 712-0772