permaculture - guilds work for me

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • Subject: guilds work for me
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 11:06:48 +1000

April Sampson-Kelly askpv@ozemail.com.au
www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv
My space can make this world a better place

I agree with you,
for me guilds are essential texture
I see plants and landscape with guilds, I see animals and habitats in
guilds,
I see insects, animals, micro=organisms in guilds.
I see people working in guilds,

I see myself as part of a guild of people, an edge species not a canopy,
I venture out into new ideas knowing I have the support of other behind
me.

Nothing is my formula in the permaculture that I have come to appreciate.

No two systems will be the same, so why do some of us expect formulae
guilds?

Australian native species work heavily with micro-organisms and natural
behaviour of surrounding species,
My home is in a rainforest, a giant guild.

Understanding guilds as small sections of a wider web is a very strong
permaculture tool
and I am not blinded by political or personality dislikes,
I like everyone who seeks to use a range of natural tools -
in the efforts to find one suited to their situation.!!

> April Sampson-Kelly askpv@ozemail.com.au
> www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv
> My space can make this world a better place
>
> ----------
> > From: Miekal And <dtv@mwt.net>
> > To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
> > Cc: permaculture@envirolink.org
> > Subject: reprise: guilds
> > Date: Sunday, October 05, 1997 8:23 PM
> >
> > Im not content to see this "discussion" about guilds laid to rest yet.
> > Dan H mentioned that he thot it was one of Mollison's weaker ideas,
that
> > there are no ready made answers when it comes to species selection. &
> > while I agree that nothing replaces knowing the plants & what will work
> > & what wont work, I also think that there are ways of thinking of
design
> > that build upon nature & evolutionary affinities that some plants have
> > with other plants. Companion planting has been mentioned tho in my
book
> > I think of garden annuals. I am also quite interested in designs that
> > further the ideas of Alan Kapuler & Olaf Brentmar & co-evolutionary
> > gardening, which I see as a taxonomical guild system.
> >
> > Also for the record I wonder if the notion of guilds actually
originates
> > from Mollison, I believe that indigenous agriculture has been enlarging
> > upon these notions forever, for instance the 3 sisters & medicine
> > gardens are 2 that come to mind. But then what is a guild?
> >

> > Miekal And
> > --
> > Dreamtime Village website: http://net22.com/dreamtime
> > QAZINGULAZA: And/Was/Wakest website:
> > http://net22.com/qazingulaza
> > e-mail for DT & And/Was: dtv@mwt.net

  • guilds work for me, April Sampson-Kelly, 10/09/1997