permaculture - Re: Applications [strip crops]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Applications [strip crops]
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 11:14:54 +1000

The difference between strip farming with poultry free range in between the strips
and actually using tractors-  is the concentration of birds on the soil, this concentration can quickly denude an
area which is open to weed seed or your seed.
This is desirable for intensive beds but may be a unnecessary for large scale farming.
When I use the chickens in a small concentration here I am left with woody plants and sedges and a mix of less tasty plants (tasty for hens) but there is a wider control of pests such as insects, caterpillars, slugs and snails.
For orchard maintenance you could use 100 birds to the acre [Mollison] it all depends on how much understorey or ground cover
there is for the birds to eat.
The greatest risk is soil loss and permaculture is about upmost soil and water conservation.

I would consider the options with the least amount of management and energy for you, the farmer.

Permaculture is really about observation and confidence in trying things,  Why not divide the birds up into a couple of test runs,
and find what really works for you, then hopefully you'll be kind to share it with us.

All the best.

April Sampson-Kelly  askpv@ozemail.com.au
www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv
My space can make this world a better place