permaculture - Re: goat forage

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Diver" <steved@ncatark.uark.edu>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>, <permawest@olywa.net>
  • Subject: Re: goat forage
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 17:17:44 +0000

I am looking forward to what others have to say about
goat containment in the context of brush control.

Here in Fayetteville, Arkansas, the Botanical Garden
Society of the Ozarks just gained city approval for a
land-lease agreement for 100 acres of parkland to establish
a botanical garden. The 40 acres of woods is over-run with
poison ivy and Japanese honeysuckle. Some parts are
literally a jungle.

The non-chemical control options seem to be somewhat limited:
goats, steam, flame, geotextile mulch. A group of volunteers
has made tiny, tiny progress in hand removal over the last six
months....in the struggle for forest restoration and re-establishment
of native understory....and almost everybody has
succumbed to poison ivy rash at one time of another, too.

Anyways, goat-based brush control is a very serious option
in the minds of a few, but there is mighty opposition by the
majority due to the management aspects of goats on city land.

Any tips on lead lines, fencing, herding, how much time is
involved in daily maintenance....will also be appreciated.

Steve Diver

--
steved@ncatark.uark.edu

  • goat forage, Permaculture West, 10/03/1997
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: goat forage, Steve Diver, 10/03/1997
    • Re: Goat Forage, woodyw, 10/03/1997