permaculture - Re: rabbit manure

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: rabbit manure
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:25:34 +1000

I saw a great idea of a permaculture designer in Canberra but sorry I don't
remember where
I read it and can't remember his name (someone else on this list may)

He had the pet rabbit living directly above the worms, he fed the rabbit
his kitchen scraps
(beware no potatoe as this can kill guinea pigs and so it may harm fluffy
too) and the rabbits
dropping fed straight to the worms, then he used the worm castings diluted
straight on the garden.

Better still, in summer my girlfriend uses the rabbit in situ, to eat the
small lawn and slow the lawns growth (the lawn
does die off with too much rabbit business) it has a small portable hutch,
she never has to mow. By the time
this manure leaches to surrounding gardens (permaculture puts in filter
beds to trap water and deal with waste, of course) it would be fine.
Regards,
April Sampson-Kelly askpv@ozemail.com.au
www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv
My space can make this world a better place