permaculture - SAEd ED MTLS: Agroecology texts (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Victor Guest <vic@daena.eepo.com.au>
  • To: Permaculture WA <perma@eepo.com.au>
  • Subject: SAEd ED MTLS: Agroecology texts (fwd)
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 15:19:44 WST

SAEd-Share-L Educational Materials Archival Post

This post dates from 25 Oct 1995. Compilation by Molly Anderson,
manderso@emerald.tufts.edu, Tufts, USA. This post was also listed on SANET.

>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>

Moll's post begins here:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

> [...]

>>like a text similar to the one I am seeking; but they have
>>been unable to find something comprehensive at a suitable
>>price for students' wallets. Most people teaching
>>agroecology courses are trying to cobble together readings
>>and selections from books.
>>
>>The stars preceding references below indicate the number of
>>times a particular book was recommended, not necessarily a
>>quality ranking. I'm sure we are leaving out some relevant
>>references: if your favorite text is not here, please feel
>>free to notify the list. I checked references in my personal
>>library and on the Library of Congress MARC file, but
>>couldn't get complete citations or a confirmation of the information
>>others had sent me on a few of these.
>>
>>Recommended books (either main texts, or supplements dealing
>>with specific topics):
>>
>>******** Altieri, Miguel. 1995. Agroecology: The Science
>>of Sustainable Agriculture. 2nd Edition. Boulder: Westview
>>Press. (many people recommended the first edition, but the
>>2nd is now available)
>>
>>**** Loomis, R.S. and Conner, D.J. 1992. Crop Ecology:
>>Productivity and Management in Agricultural Systems.
>>Cambridge University Press.
>>
>>*** Carroll, C. Ronald, John H. Vandermeer and Peter M.
>>Rosset (Eds.). 1990. Agroecology. New York: McGraw-Hill.
>>
>>** Edwards, C.A., R. Lal, P. Madden, R. Miller and G. House
>>(Eds.). Sustainable Agricultural Systems. Ankeny, Iowa:
>>Soil & Water Conservation Society.
>>
>>** Gliessman, Stephen. 199_. Agroecology: Ecological
>>Processes in Sustainable Agriculture. (forthcoming text)
>>
>>** Reijntjes, Coen, Bertus Heverkort, and Ann Waters-Bayer.
>>19__. Farming For The Future - An Introduction to Low-
>>External-Input and Sustainable Agriculture. Information
>>Centre for Low-External-Input and Sustainable Agriculture
>>(ILEIA), Netherlands.
>>
>>** Tivy, Joy. 1990. Agricultural Ecology. Essex, England:
>>Longman Scientific and Technical.
>>
>>* Beets, Willem. 19__. Raising and Sustaining Productivity
>>of Smallholder Agriculture in the Tropics. AgBe Publishing.
>>
>>* Bender, Jim. 1994. Future Harvest. Pesticide-Free
>>Farming. Lincoln, Nebraska: University of Nebraska Press.
>>
>>* Berry, Wendell. 1977. The Unsettling of America: Culture
>>and Agriculture. San Francisco: Sierra Club Books.
>>
>>* Bird, Elizabeth Ann R., Gordon L. Bultena and John C.
>>Gardner (Eds.). 1995. Planting the Future: Developing an
>>Agriculture that Sustains Land and Community. Ames, Iowa:
>>Iowa State University Press.
>>
>>* Briggs, David J. and Frank M. Courtney. 1985. Agriculture
>>and Environment: The Physical Geography of Temperate
>>Agricultural Systems.
>>
>>* Carter, Vernon Gill and Tom Dale. 1974. Topsoil and
>>Civilization. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press.
>>
>>* Corson, Walter. 1990. The Global Ecology Handbook: What
>>You Can Do about the Environmental Crisis. Washington, DC:
>>Global Tomorrow Coalition. (Phone: 202 628-4016)

  • SAEd ED MTLS: Agroecology texts (fwd), Victor Guest, 08/26/1997