permaculture - Re: (permaculture) Hello

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Linda Felch <lfelch@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: (permaculture) Hello
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 16:22:49 -0400 (EDT)

you wrote:
Then, about two years
ago we began trying to follow Permaculture principles and this has
worked out fairly well. Unfortunatly, there does not seem to be many
others on this path. Most people on the net seem interested in
teaching or are part of intentional communities. I had hoped to find
people talking about how they work with their site. Specifically,
ponds, forest gardens, guilds, cover crops, ducks, and mental
attitudes are of interest.

end quote

Well, I'm afraid that I live at an intentional community that does
permaculture education. However, we are also a permaculture demonstration
site. There is a pond on property that we are about to purchase, so we
look forward to incorporating that into our design. We recently expanded
out forest garden area with the addition of elderberries, gooseberries,
high-bush blue berries. We're also looking to do more with this area --
we're expecting a shipment from Edible Landscaping in another week
that'll have some bush cherries and a cold hardy plant that's supposed to
be similar to a date (don't remember the name). We've also done some work
with guilds, although our favorite example got wiped out by a flood,
which has prompted us to put more perennials on that side of the garden!
We're experiementing with buckwheat as a cover crop this year. Our newest
member brought 4 ducks and 2 goats with her, which we are also workingon
incorporating. So far we've been using the animals to provide us with
enriched straw for sheet mulching (old bedding) and the animals have been
getting most of our kitchen scraps, which cuts down on rodents and dogs
in the compost pile.

Mental attitudes -- we got 'em. Which kind are you interested in?

Linda Felch
lfelch@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
http://www.welch.jhu.edu/~lfelch/heathcote.html
Baltimore, MD