permaculture - RE: Query

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charland, Stacy" <CHARLANS@gm1.nigms.nih.gov>
  • To: "permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Query
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 12:50:51 -0500

Rebecca,

I hope you pass on any responses that aren't posted to the list, I'd be
interested as well.

My husband would like a lap pool, but I too hate the thought of all the
chemicals (and effort) that would be required to keep it up.

A few years ago we "built" a small ornamental pond in our backyard at a
previous house, and although it had some Koi and water plants, the water
stayed crystal clear with the use of a biological filter. Supposedly a
larger pond (ours was only about 4X8, 2 foot deep) can become
self-sustaining and not need filters and such, but you will have algae,
mud, plants, etc to "filter" the water for you. So how clean does it have
to be to swim in? Many folks swim in ponds and lakes...

Stacy