permaculture - re: Flea Beetles

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: be417@freenet.carleton.ca (Robert W. Tom)
  • To: permaculture-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
  • Cc: blissv@nmhu.campus.mci.net
  • Subject: re: Flea Beetles
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 10:27:07 -0400

on Sat Jun 22 00:58:16 1996
blissv@nmhu.campus.mci.net (Vicki Garland) wrote:
re: flea beetles..

[ snipped & pasted ]

> ...Does anyone have any ideas for getting rid of flea beetles?
> They riddle the leaves of bok choi, mizuna, arugula, chinese cabbage

Hi Vicki (and other PC-heads);

Thanks for your "Gardening with Vicki" post a few days ago. I enjoyed it.

Have you tried Insecticidal Dusts ? I've used wood ashes and bone meal and
it seems to help to reduce the damage. A woman once recommended a foliar
spray of manure tea, but I haven't tried that yet.

Although it may not be an option for you in the US Southwest, planting in
early spring/autumn so that the brassicas only see cool weather seems to
help as well.

There is a discussion of "Neem-oil extracts" ( marketed as Margosan-O in
the US) which has proven effective in the excellent book:

Common-Sense Pest Control
Least-toxic solutions for your home, garden, pets and community
by Helga & William Olkowski, Sheila Daar

along with a discussion of how the insecticidal dusts work.

Bon chance.

--
Rob Tom

  • re: Flea Beetles, Robert W. Tom, 06/22/1996