permaculture - Ecological Design Course

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: XINCLXpermaculture-mg@txinfinet.com (permaculture-mg Conference @ txinfinet.com)
  • To: permaculture-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: Ecological Design Course
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 96 19:29:16 CDT

Here is some info about a
Permaculture Design certification course I am
planning to take in June. It should be great. Feel
free to e-mail ( clifford_may@txinfinet.com ) if
you have any questions.
Planning is underway to have audio/visual recordings
made for use in the instructor's Permaculture CD-ROM
project.
--Clifford.

PRESS RELEASE

The National Water Center
HCR 4 Box 354, Blanco, Texas 78606
Contact: Patricia Du Bose Michael
Phone: (210) 833-2440
FAX: Call First
Austin/Alternate Contact: Clifford May
Phone: (512) 458-3210
FAX: Call First

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ECOLOGICAL DESIGN TRAINING

Design That Serves Both Nature and Culture

Austin, Texas, May 1 --
Ecological Design Training leading to certification in
Permaculture Design is being offered to all folks
interested in practical, personal conservation,
regeneration and stewardship. Sponsored by The National
Water Center, a 501 (c)3 organization, and Casa de Luz
Community Center, a non-profit organization, instructor
Patricia Du Bose Michael's Ecological Design Training will
be held at Casa de Luz Community Center, 1701 Toomey Road,
Austin, Texas, from Saturday June 15, 1996 through Sunday
June 23, 1996. Permaculture is the harmonious integration
of people into the landscape in such a way that the land
grows in richness and aesthetic beauty.

Design is the link between science and how we build our
communities. The Right Livelihood Award (the Alternative
Nobel Prize) was given to a brilliant systems designer from
Australia, Bill Mollison, in 1981 for his Permaculture
Design Course. The course is the only design training to
ever win a Nobel scale award. It won because it works and
is appropriate all over the world. Patricia Du Bose Michael
MFA is a student of Bill Mollison who specializes in design
training for our local bioregion [A bioregion is the group
of ecosystems in a regional drainage basin and associated
offshore areas.]. Patricia quit teaching architecture at
the University of Oklahoma in 1974 to devote her career to
design that serves both nature and culture.

Patricia understands that "Every thing that has been built
has been designed, and often with little information. Our
buildings, roads, institutions and landscapes determine
what our maintenance cost and quality of life are. Many of
us feel like victims of high taxes, crime, ugly cities,
high utility cost, poor education and declining social
values. We don't understand that each day we contribute to
that culture we are critical of. Our own unconscious design
creates our culture, both directly and indirectly. When we
have good design information, based in science that we can
understand, we will be able to make the everyday choices
that will design the culture we want. We start from where
we are right now. This is a doable way to change the world."

Training Title, Instructor, Date, Location Etc.

* Title: Ecological Design Training
* Instructor: Patricia Du Bose Michael MFA,
Vice Chancellor of the International
Permaculture Academy, an Ecological
Systems Designer specializing in
the Cretaceous landscape. Her