permaculture - Info needed on deer damage (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Larry London <london@sunsite.unc.edu>
  • To: sustag-public@ces.ncsu.edu, permaculture-mg@ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: Info needed on deer damage (fwd)
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 17:07:26 -0500

------- start of forwarded message -------
>From: userid@psu.edu (First M. Lastname)
Newsgroups:
psu.ecology,rec.animals.wildlife,sci.agriculture,sci.bio.ecology,pa.wanted
Subject: Info needed on deer damage
Date: 15 Feb 1995 20:42:26 GMT
Sender: klw130@hearst.cac.psu.edu

Hello! IUm working on an honors thesis that will focus on the
economic, biological, and social aspects of deer damage to agricultural
crops. I will be looking to develop some policy alternatives that
attempt to address the problem of deer overpopulation and its effect on
agricultural crops specifically in Pennsylvania. I would greatly
appreciate some information and suggestions. I have some specific
information IUm looking for which includes the following:

--total deer population estimate for the state and each county in the
state;
--equation for determining the deer population/ carrying capacity by
Game Commission;
--carrying capacity for different forest types;
--carrying capacity estimate for each county of the state;

--total number of deer harvested for the state and each
county;
--total number of deer harvested on crop damage Rhot spotS farms for
the regular season and the extended season;
--list of crop damage Rhot spotS farms for the state by each county;
--approximate numbers of hunters per county of the state;

--crop damage estimates by deer by bu. or $;
--total acreage of farmland in the state by county;
--total acreage of each county of the state;
--list of full time, part-time and hobby farms and acreage of the
state by county;

--estimated amount of money (revenue) that hunting brings into the
state by county;
--any information on PFA or other legislation concerning crop damage
and deer;
--any information on the use of contraceptives or fencing as possible
solutions.
--any other data or information sources that would be helpful
concerning economic, biological, or social
aspects of deer damage
to agriculture crops.

Please send any information or information sources to klw130@psu.edu.

Thank you for your time and help! Kevin Willis
------- end of forwarded message -------

  • Info needed on deer damage (fwd), Larry London, 03/05/1995