permaculture - Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Permaculture Design Course (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Larry London <london>
  • To: permaculture-mg@twosocks.ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Permaculture Design Course (fwd)
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 1994 14:16:29 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 24 May 1994 12:46:35 EDT
From:JOHNV@envsci.uoguelph.ca
To: Paul Kaarakka <finn@macc.wisc.edu>,
Margaret Merrill <mmerrill@leo.vsla.edu>
Cc: sanet-mg@ces.ncsu.edu
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Permaculture Design Course

> From: Margaret Merrill <mmerrill@leo.vsla.edu>
> Subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Permaculture Design Course
> To: Paul Kaarakka <finn@macc.wisc.edu>
> Date sent: Mon, 23 May 94 8:54:11 EDT
> Copies to: sanet-mg@ces.ncsu.edu

> There is another offering of this same course on Permaculture
> being held here in Virginia at Springtree Community,
> Scottsville, VA. If anyone is interested in an east coast
> location, let me know. I think that the dates are late June.
> Will call them and try to post the exact information.
>
> --
> Margaret Merrill
> Jefferson Madison Regional Library
> 201 E. Market St.
> Charlottesville, VA 22902-5287
> mmerrill@leo.vsla.edu

I just attended a permaculture with Peter and Chuck as instructors.
They did a fantastic job, well worth the price and opportunity.
Excellent introduction to the interdisciplinary ecological
agriculture, with many very useful and practical tidbits of
information and design suggestions. I would recommend you
browse/read abook on Permaculture before you arrive so that you dont
feel totally shell-shocked by all the information. Any of the three
books on the list, or Permaculture 2, or Intro to permaculture are
excellent texts. I am a PhD candidate in epidemiology working in
the Agroecosystem Health Program here at U. of Guelph, Ontario,
Canada. Permaculture is an excellent example of a healthy
agroecosystem. I am looking at how agricultural landuse practices
(such as pesticide and fertilizer, both organic and inorganic) are
affecting ground and surface water quality and subsequently human
health by mapping available information for Ontario in GIS format. If
anyone else is working on this, I would enjoy the pportunity to
correspond and discuss issues. Thanks. And I hope the permaculture
course goes well.

John VanLeeuwen
AGroecosystem Health
211 Blackwood Hall, U. of Guelph