permaculture - Re: PC online DB

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: PC online DB
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 23:34:23 -0500

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 00:26:57 -0800 (PST), John Schinnerer
<eco_living@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Aloha,
>
>> Good point, but if those who have online access will collect and
>> disseminate to those without online access - acquire and tailor
>> bodies of information, port it to paper, cd, or any other
>> media/multimedia and give it away or sell it for price of cost
>> recovery, the gap will have begun to be bridged.
>
>Thus my earlier question about how to increase accessibility of info
>gathered for any computerized DB project. Holistic portability to
>written and oral culture needs to be designed into the DB if we are
>serious about this aspect of it, and I don't think that designing will
>be trivial. Most DBs are designed for computerized consumers, and are

Just a quick thought about this. The results of a DB search could
produce a record with a user selectable list of output formats:
audio file, video file, text file (ascii or UNIX mailbox format
textfile), PDF or HTML. The audio files can be put on casette, video
onto vcr videotape.

L.F.London ICQ#27930345 lflondon@mindspring.com
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech london@ibiblio.org

  • Re: PC online DB, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 11/22/2001