permaculture - Re: Remedies for Anthrax (Re-Post of entire thread - LONG)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Remedies for Anthrax (Re-Post of entire thread - LONG)
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:03:14 -0500

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 11:05:11 -0500, EFMonaco <EFMonaco@compuserve.com>
wrote:

>Would someone re-post the remedies for Anthrax post?
>I managed to delete it, and wanted to send it to a friend.
>(I suppose if I knew how to search the archives, I could do this myself.)
>Thanks,
>Gene Monaco
>Knoxville, TN

<><><>

Hi Y'all,
My naturopathic MD sent me the following. Read it carefully. It could
save your life.
Keith
(Please excuse cross-posting)

The following info should be read and saved for possible future use
when
and if necessary ( Heaven help us if this info is needed in an
emergency).

NATURAL ANTIDOTES TO BIOLOGICAL TOXINS

Americans have grown so accustomed to relying upon prescription
medications that they will probably have difficulty believing there
are
natural compounds as close as the kitchen cupboard that are potent
antidotes against biological warfare. These natural antibiotics and
antioxidants may give unvaccinated people who have been exposed to
biological or chemical weapons enough time to secure professional
care.
They may even save lives.

It is a fact that chaotic events will make it difficult to obtain
appropriate treatment even if it were available. So we must learn more
about natural antidotes. Furthermore, it is clear that antidotes to
biological attacks need to be employed at home or the workplace in an
expedient manner.

The idea of the masses running to obtain medical care or vaccines at
doctor's offices, clinics or hospitals needs to be abandoned if
civilian

defense against biological weapons is to become a reality.

NATURAL RESCUE REMEDIES
Since anthrax is the most feared toxin it will be addressed first. The
Garlic Information Center in Britain indicates that deadly anthrax is
most susceptible to garlic. Garlic is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that
even blocks toxin production by germs. [Journal Nutrition, March 2001]
Before vaccines were developed against polio, garlic was used
successfully as a prophylactic. In one test garlic was found to be a
more potent antibiotic than penicillin, ampicillin, doxycycline,
streptomycin and cephalexin, some of the very same antibiotic drugs
used

in the treatment of anthrax.

Garlic was found to be effective against nine strains of E. coli,
Staph
and other bugs. [Fitoterapia, Volume 5, 1984] Freshly cut cloves of
garlic or garlic powder may be beneficial.

The antibiotic activity of one milligram of allicin, the active
ingredient in garlic, equals 15 units of penicillin. [Koch and Lawson,
Garlic: The Science and Therapeutic Application, 2nd edition, Williams
&

Wilkins, Baltimore 1996] Garlic capsules that certify their allicin
content are preferred and may provide 5-10 milligrams of allicin,
which
is equivalent to 75-150 units of penicillin.

The anthrax bacterium's toxicity emanates from its ability to kill
macrophage cells which are part of the immune system. Studies have
shown

that sulfur-bearing antioxidants (alpha lipoic acid, N-acetyl
cysteine,
taurine) and vitamin C, which elevate levels of glutathione, a natural
antioxidant within the body, counters the toxicity produced by
anthrax.
[Molecular Medicine, November 1994; Immunopharmacology, January 2000;
Applied Environmental Microbiology, May 1979]

The above sulfur compounds can be obtained from health food stores and
taken in doses ranging from 100-500 mg. Vitamin C should be the
buffered

alkaline form (mineral ascorbates) rather than the acidic form
(ascorbic

acid) and should be combined with bioflavonoids which prolong vitamin
C's action in the blood circulation. The powdered form of vitamin C is
recommended to achieve optimal dosing. A tablespoon of vitamin C
powder
(about 10,000 mgs) can be added to juice. Good products are Twinlab's
Super Ascorbate C powder and Alacer's powdered vitamin C.

Melatonin, a sleep-inducing hormone available at most health food
stores, has been shown to help prevent lethal toxins from anthrax
exposure. [Cell Biology Toxicology, Volume 16, 2000] It could be taken
at bedtime in doses ranging from 5-20 mg. Melatonin boosts glutathione
levels during sleep.

Of additional interest, one of the methods by which mustard gas works
is its ability to bring about cell death by depleting cell levels of
glutathione eMedicine Journal, April 9, 2001] So glutathione is also
an
antidote for mustard gas poisoning.

Virtually all bacteria, viruses and fungi depend upon iron as a growth
factor. [Iron & Your Health, T.F. Emery, CRC Press, 1991]
Iron-chelating

(removing) drugs and antibiotics (Adriamycin, Vancomycin, others) are
effective against pathogens. The plague (Yersinia pestis), botulism,
smallpox and anthrax could all be potentially treated with
non-prescription metal-binding chelators. For example, iron removal
retards the growth of the plague. [Medical Hypotheses, January 1980]
The

biological activity of the botulinum toxin depends upon iron, and
metal
chelators may be beneficial.

Infection Immunology, October 1989, Toxicon, July, 1997].

Phytic acid (IP6), derived as an extract from rice bran, is the most
potent natural iron chelator and has strong antibiotic and antioxidant
action. [Free Radical Biology Medicine, Volume 8, 1990; Journal
Biological Chemistry, August 25, 1987] IP6 has been found to have
similar | iron-chelating properties as desferrioxamine, a drug
commonly
used to kill germs, tumor cells or to remove undesirable minerals from
the body. [Biochemistry Journal, September 15, 1993] IP6 rice bran
extract (2000-4000 mg) should be taken in between meals with filtered
or

bottled water only (no juice).

The antibacterial, antiseptic action of plant oils has been described
in

recent medical literature and may be helpful in fighting biological
toxins. [Journal Applied Microbiology, Volume 88, 2000] A potent
natural antibiotic, more powerful than many prescription antibiotics,
is

oil of oregano. One study showed that oregano completely inhibited the
growth of 25 germs such as Staphylococcus aureas, Escherichia coli,
Yersinia enterocolitica and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. [Journal Food
Protection, July 2001] Oregano has been shown to be effective in
eradicating intestinal parasites in humans. [Phytotherapy Research,
May
2000] Wild oregano, which is quite different than the variety on most
kitchen spice racks, has over 50 antibacterial compounds. Just one
part
wild oregano oil in 4000 dilution sterilizes contaminated water.
[London

Times, May 8, 2001]

Oregano powder from whole leaf oregano is available as OregamaxTM
capsules (North American Herb & Spice Co.). A spectacular development
in natural antibiotic therapy is the manufacture of oregano powder
from
100% pure oregano oil, producing one of the most potent antibiotics
known. It has recently become available under the trade name
OregacinTM
(North American Herb & Spice Co.). It costs about $1 per pill, but
this
is a far cry from the $16 per pill for Vancomycin, known as most
potent
prescription antibiotic.

Nature also provides nerve gas antitoxins. Nerve gas interrupts the
normal transmission of nerve impulses by altering levels of
acetycholinesterase, the enzyme that degrades the nerve transmitter
acetycholine. Huperzine A, a derivative of Chinese club moss, has been
suggested as a pre-treatment against nerve gases. [Annals Pharmacology
France, January 2000] The Walter Reed Army Institute of Research
conducted studies which revealed that huperzine A protects against
nerve

gas poisoning in a superior manner to physostigmine, a long-standing
anti-nerve toxin.drug. [Defense Technical Information Center Review,
Volume 2, December 1996] Huperzine A is available as a food supplement
at most health food stores. Suggested dosage is 150 mcg per day.
Pretreatment is advised prior to nerve gas exposure.

SUMMARY. The threat of biological warfare is real and concern over
preparedness of the civilian population and medical professionals is
growing. There is virtually no practical way that vaccines,
antibiotics
or other treatment can be delivered to a frightened populace in a
timely

manner during a crisis. The current strategy of having an unprotected
citizenry travel to physicians' offices or hospitals to receive
prophylactic care or treatment is unfeasible. The public must be armed
with preventive or therapeutic agents in their vehicles, homes and the
workplace. Natural antibiotics and antitoxins are well documented in
the

medical literature, but overlooked by health authorities. These
antidotes are readily available for the public to acquire and place in
an emergency biological response kit.

Last portion of article by Bill Sardi
http://www.sdm2000.com/toxinreport.doc

Knowledge of Health, Inc.
457 West Allen Avenue #117
San Dimas, California 91773

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:48:45 -0400, Keith Johnson
<keithdj@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Hi Y'all,
>My naturopathic MD sent me the following. Read it carefully. It could
>save your life.
>Keith
>(Please excuse cross-posting)
>
>The following info should be read and saved for possible future use when
>and if necessary ( Heaven help us if this info is needed in an
>emergency).

<>

A friend sent me the following info in email recently on a homeopathic
remedy for anthrax:

>From: "pankaj oudhia" <pankajoudhia@rediffmail.com>
>To: <newcrops@purdue.edu>
>Subject: Anthrax -A promising solution
>Date: 15 Oct 2001 06:04:52 -0000
>

>Hello everybody,
> As you know, US and Britain are under attack of Anthrax .I have
>some promising solutions to prevent the spread of this lethal disease.I am
>lover of Homoeopathic system of medicine and conducting research on
>Agrohomoeopathy i.e. use of Homoeopathy in Agriculture.In this system ,a
>drug called ANTHRACINUM is used to PREVENT the Anthrax.This drug is a
>nosode and prepared from the poison of Anthrax.Use of Anthracinum (as
>preventive) in Anthrax infested areas can save the lives of thousands of
>unaffected peoples.I want to convey this message to US
>government.Homoeopathy is the system of medicine originated from Germany.US
>government can take the help of Homoeopaths to deal with this problem.I am
>sorry to use this forum for unrelated matter but I have found no way to
>communicate my message to US government.Please help me and try to convey
>this message to related authorities.
>regards,
>P.OUDHIA,INDIA
>http://www.celestine-india.com/pankajoudhia

<>

> [...]
>Pretreatment is advised prior to nerve gas exposure.
>
>SUMMARY. The threat of biological warfare is real and concern over
>preparedness of the civilian population and medical professionals is
>growing. There is virtually no practical way that vaccines, antibiotics
>or other treatment can be delivered to a frightened populace in a timely
>
>manner during a crisis. The current strategy of having an unprotected
>citizenry travel to physicians' offices or hospitals to receive
>prophylactic care or treatment is unfeasible. The public must be armed
>with preventive or therapeutic agents in their vehicles, homes and the
>workplace. Natural antibiotics and antitoxins are well documented in the
>
>medical literature, but overlooked by health authorities. These
>antidotes are readily available for the public to acquire and place in

L.F.London ICQ#27930345 lflondon@mindspring.com
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech london@ibiblio.org

. and so we all continue to thrive by sharing information. thank you
for the dose
of homeopathy!
.. permaculture too, begins in the heart :->

btw, i am katerina, new to this forum. my husband and i just acquired
10 wonderful acres of desert dry land in new mexico, elevation 6500
ft.
we are studying the land, studying the principles,
feeling our way into new and exciting territory. we still live 2 hours
away,
but plan to slowly start building ourselves a small strawbale house
plus
permaculture farm there, one bale at a time ..)
for now, the formerly heavily overgrazed land grows rich junipers and
various cacti (still to be identified) inmidst surviving native
grasses.
there is a small seasonal arroyo running through the land.
approx. annual percipitation, 12 in.

the global scope/outreach of this forum is exciting.
if there are sites, sounds, and sources you would like to share,
we are grateful sponges.

blessings.

Cheers to Kieth:
Thanks for original self help information.
Thanks as it is generally useful information terrorists or not and
It makes a great list for planting for people too.
3 cheers for you
Bless You,

BTW Garlic has been scientifically tested ie double blind,large sample
size
etc and is considered effective against colds. (Reduction of
frequency,
intensity and length)

Could others continue develop this thread a little more?

It's cold & flue season again and my 94 year old grandmother just came
down
with a cold as did my 5 year old nephew etc etc.

Is there a compendium that is up to date that serves as a guide to
these
plants & their properties on a home grow and home use basis? Some of
those
pills are expensive.

Yep, with the colds going around I am now "Garlic Dragon breath"
mixing my
chopped garlic with a spoonful of honey...

Harold Waldock
Vancouver Permaculture Network

Aloha,

Re garlic, this from Pam Montgomery, an herbalist/teacher in Vermont
via my significant other Ayars, who did an apprenticeship with her
last
year...Pam is a big fan of garlic, among other things.

Anyhow...a "medicinal" dose of garlic is 'round about 10 (ten)
cloves...yes, you read right, *ten* cloves... :-o The cloves should
be
sliced crosswise, not mashed or minced, and eaten raw, of course.
Eating them with whatever helps get 'em down is OK and doesn't detract
from the medicinal effect (she suggests layering it into a sandwich
with cream cheese or "tofutti" or whatever suits ya...I haven't yet
done that much at once, but I like to eat it with good bread dipped in
good olive oil...polenta would probably be good too...). Kinda like
medicinal strength fresh ginger tea, one can get used to the initially
overwhelming effect...

If ten cloves sounds like a lot, I heard a story about a guy who
wasn't
real familiar with plants and produce, but decided to try this garlic
thing...he thought "clove" was what most of us call "bulb," so he
buckled down and ate ten "cloves" - bulbs, that is... :-O

=====
John Schinnerer, MA
--------------------
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
Food - Shelter - Community
john@eco-living.net
http://eco-living.net

I've recently been working with Spilanthes, too, and would like to
hear
whether anyone else has experience with it.
Keith

Jerome Osentowski wrote:

> Keith, Thanks for the thing on Garlic. Spilanthes (AKA toothache plant)
> will probably knock those buggers out too. I have three gallons of it ready
> to go... jerome
> --
> Jerome Osentowski, Director
> Central Rocky Mountain Permaculture Institute
> PO Box 631
> Basalt, CO 81621 U.S.A.
> Tel/fax (970) 927-4158 E mail: <jerome@crmpi.org>
> For more information, please visit our web site at <www.crmpi.org>

Aloha,

--- Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com> wrote:
> I've recently been working with Spilanthes, too, and would like to
> hear whether anyone else has experience with it.

I've had spilanthes usnea tincture recommended as a toenail fungus
killer - sounds like a similar effect. Haven't tried it yet - report
when I do...

=====
John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
Food - Shelter - Community
john@eco-living.net
http://eco-living.net

L.F.London ICQ#27930345 lflondon@mindspring.com
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech london@ibiblio.org

  • Re: Remedies for Anthrax (Re-Post of entire thread - LONG), Lawrence F. London, Jr., 10/29/2001