permaculture - Re: Railroad Ties

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Railroad Ties
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:08:13 -0400

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:12:35 -0400, "Lawrence F. London, Jr."
<lflondon@mindspring.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:21:16 -0400, Claude Genest
><genest@together.net> wrote:
>

>>I ended up using old railroad ties to terrace a planting area behind the
>>house.
>>
>>They are quite old and faded - How bad of a health risk would I be taking if
>>I planted edibles in those beds ?
>>
>>Would it help if I waited a year or two while the sun/rain continues to
>>leach out the toxins ?

Better yet, build your beds out of the ties, then use them as one side
of a concrete form - build forms inside the beds out of plywood to
contain your concrete. Mix batches of SakCrete concrete (good stuff
and has plenty of portland in it for strength) in a wheelbarrow,
dumping each into the forms until you have created a nice non-toxic
liner inside the rrtie structure. No expensive at all and near
permanent.

L.F.London ICQ#27930345 lflondon@mindspring.com
www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech london@ibiblio.org

  • Re: Railroad Ties, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 06/26/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Railroad Ties, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 06/26/2001