permaculture - Re: Hawks and windmills

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Hawks and windmills
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 23:28:50 -0400

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 21:19:17 -0400, igg <igg@intrepid.net> wrote:

>I have a hard time believing that hawks will fly into a spinning
>blade, but I imagine I'm wrong about that. I would think that someone
>has developed a way to make wind generators safe for hawks.

Put the wind turbine out in an open field away from trees where it can
be clearly seen. Put dayglo marking tape (surveyor's or construction
ribbon) or flags high up on the tower for added visibility to alert
birds so they will have time to go around. I haven't tried this but it
seems a good idea. May it will scare off the deer too (with that in
mind, mount a few of those deer whistles on the turbine itself.)

L.F.London ICQ#27930345 lflondon@mindspring.com
www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech london@ibiblio.org

  • Re: Hawks and windmills, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 04/01/2001