permaculture - Re: question for waterproofing canvas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: question for waterproofing canvas
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:17:40 -0500

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:32:08 -0500, Sharon Gordon <gordonse@one.net>
wrote:
>>I would try heating/mixing: paraffin, beeswax, linseed oil (minimum
>>amount necessary) , pine (any conifer) sap and applying that - could
>>add a little turpentine to make it less viscous but smell/toxicity may
>>make that prohibitive. Heat this mixture in a large container, immerse
>
>Would this need to be done in a double boiler to prevent a fire?
Yes, for small batches or done carefully over direct heat (electric
hotplate); also make sure you use a big container and keep a lid with
adequate venting on it. You'd need a big pot if you were doing batches
of canvas. A good solution would be heating the mix in a steel can
(non-galvanized) over campfire coals OR build a fireplace outdoors
that you can put a sheet of metal over to keep flames off the can;
sit the can or barrel with lid on, on the plate over the coals and lit
it rip slowly for hours. A good container is a clean, new or used,
steel 30 gallon barrell - could be use over and over; or a 50 gallon
one for really large batches of canvas.

>The reason I ask is paraffin and wax alone are always done
>this way to prevent fires.

Certainly if you were adding turpentine to the mix - do it out doors
on a gas fish cooker or campfire. Whatever method you use, do it
carefully.

>A good place to ask about weatherproofing the canvas would be
>MedievalEncampments@yahoogroups.com .
>There are people there very skilled in ancient tent technology.
>
>Sharon
>gordonse@one.net

Lawrence F. London, Jr. ICQ # 27930345
lflondon@mindspring.com london@ibiblio.org