permaculture - Re: Appropriate Technolgy (do we need a new list for this topic?)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Appropriate Technolgy (do we need a new list for this topic?)
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:39:55 -0400

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:53:02 -0400, Sharon Gordon <gordonse@one.net>
wrote:

>Does anyone know of any conferences for Appropriate Technology,
>low-tech technology that are garden and small farm oriented?
>Examples would be hand threshing machines or threshers to hook
>up to a bicycle, solar water purifiers, or the see-saw water pump such as
>was used in Gaviotas.

See the ATTRA website:

http://www.attra.org

If you mean electronic conferences, I don't know of any, and if there
really aren't any, I would like to start one. Appropriate technology
is part of permaculture but maybe there is a need for a list dedicated
to that. In depth discussion of solar cookers, fuel-efficient wood
cookstoves and heaters and passive refrigeration, the equipment you
described and much more, i.e. the integration of this equipment into
specific gardening and farming methods. IOW, I think we need a
separate list for this. Is anyone interested?
All I have to do is look through back issues of Whole Earth Catalog,
Whole Earth Review and C-Evolution quarterly for hundreds of
references worth discussing that contain technology applicable today.

Garden, homestead, forest and crafts tools and toolmaking are my
special interest, including simple blacksmithing setups for
fabricating useful and necessary tools.

Amazing, I was just thinking of posting something about appropriate
technology a few days ago. What prompted that was an article in the
latest Scientific American, Nov. 2000, page 26,
"Refrigerating the Desert" which is about Mohammed Bah Abba in
Nigeria who has developed a nested double clay pot (wide mouth urn)
food storage unit that utilizes a layer of wet sand between the pots
to take advantage of evaporative cooling to produce useable low
temperatures inside the inner pot for refrigerating and extending the
shelf life of such produce items as tomatoes and amaranth spinach.

Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lflondon@mindspring.com
london@metalab.unc.edu
http://www.ibiblio.org/london