permaculture - Re: Strawberry (Rose) Clover Performance (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Strawberry (Rose) Clover Performance (fwd)
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 03:16:19 -0400

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:54:14 -0400 (EDT), donahuer@ols.net (Randy )
wrote:

>>One solution would be to grow tall sweet white and yellow clover; the
>>bees use this plant's flowers (as do many other pollinators) and it is
>>not too invasive and could coexist with planting of many other
>>perennial forage crops, including many annuals (rye grain).

> How often would I have to seed those clovers? I have read that they
>are biennials.

They self-seed readily and with great abundance. Light annual seeding
for rejuvenation and just to be sure wouldn't be a bad idea - could
fill in areas where it is growing sparsely.

> How closely can they be grazed, and how how closely do they

Probably fairly close to the ground. It has a very tough, deep root
system and the above-ground growth can be very tall with wide ranging
branching or short growth with dense matted network of stems and
leaves.

>need to be grazed to return them to vegetative growth within a twenty day

I'd have to guess at that and say 1' from the ground but don't take
my word for it. I found it growing on my land when I bought it and I
have been observing its growth habits and hardiness and ability to
reproduce since 1980.

>resting period? My literature says that they usually grow from 3 to 6 feet,
>and can get as tall as 10 feet. . .

True.

> Do you think that there would be a test I could use for fecal matter
>in the honey?Would pasteurization solve this problem? I was going to use a

Ask beekeepers about that, they should know.
Try this link:

(Dave Green is in South Carolina)
http://www.pollinator.com/
or email them your question: Pollinator@aol.com

'

> Do you find these statements/questions plausible/worthwhile?

Absolutely! They are some of the best ideas I have seen on this list.
I'll try to address the rest of your post tomorrow. Where are you
located in NC?
'
Good luck,
Lawrence (in Chapel Hill)