permaculture - Re: Permaculture pattern languages?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Permaculture pattern languages?
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 07:13:31 -0400

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000 00:15:56 -0700, "John Schinnerer"
<johns@eco-living.net> wrote:

>Aloha,
>
>I am contemplating working on creating some pattern language patterns
>relevant to permaculture. Anyone know of any existing work of this nature
>in the realm of permaculture, and/or interested in messing about with such
>also? It will be a sort of experiment at first, to see how Alexander et
>al's patterns for formulating pattern languages can be used (as they clearly
>feel they can) in other similar yet different contexts.

I did a Bibliofind search to see if "A Pattern Language" was available
and came up with several copies ranging in price from $39 to $78.
Then I remembered a fascinating book I saw years ago in a bookstore
called something like Patterns in Nature. So I did a new search and
came up with this list of interesting titles, most of which I have
never heard of. I think the Wolf Strache book is the one I am
familiar with - contains many electron microscope photographs
of objects in nature.

The list:
<>

Jackendoff, Ray
* Patterns in the Mind: Language and Human Nature [New/Used]

Strache, Wolf
* Forms and Patterns in Nature [Used]
* Forms and Patterns in Nature, Reprint Edition. [Used]

Schneck, Marcus
* Patterns in Nature - A World of Color, Shape and Light [Used]
* Patterns in Nature [Used]

Hall, George M.
* The Ingenious Mind of Nature. Deciphering The Patterns of
Man,Society, And The Universe [Used]

Lovejoy, Ann
* Naturalistic Gardening, Reflecting the Planting Patterns of
Nature [New/Used]

Braasch, Gary
* Photographing the Patterns of Nature [New/Used]

Stevens,Peter S.
* Patterns in Nature [Used]

Thomas, Paul and Avison, Jo
* The Art Of Floral Design Original Floral Decorations Inspired by
the Patterns of Nature [Used]

Briggs, John
* Fractals- The Patterns of Chaos: Discovering a New Aesthetic of
Art, Science and Nature [Used]
* Fractals : The Patterns of Chaos : A New Aesthetic of Art,
Science, and Nature [Used]

Horst, Claude W.
* Patterns From Nature [Used]

Kryder, Rowena Pattee
* Sophia's Body: Seeing Primal Patterns in Nature [New/Used]

Swinburne, Stephen R.
* Lots & Lots of Zebra Stripes: Patterns in Nature [New/Used]

Thomas, Paul
* Art of Floral Design: Original Floral Decorations Inspired by the
Patterns of Nature [New/Used]

Baker, Jeffrey J.W.
* Patterns of Nature [Used]

Becker, Joyce R
* Nature's Patterns, Inspirations and Techniques for Quilt Makers
[Used]

Conforti, Michael
* Field, Form, & Fate: Patterns in Mind, Psyche, & Nature [New]

Jackendorf. Ray
* Patterns in the Mind...Language and Human Nature [Used]
Kast, Verena, Illustrated by Drawings
* The Nature of Loving: Patterns of Human Relationship [Used]

BURTON, JANE
* Nature And Science Of Patterns [Used]
Esbensen, Barbara J.
* Echoes for the Eye: Poems to Celebrate Patterns in Nature [New]
Greenleaf, Frederick P.
* Quantitative Reasoning: Understanding the Mathematical Patterns
of Nature [New] Kunitz, Joshua

Stanley, H. Eugene
* Exploring Patterns in Nature: Computer Simulabs & Hands on
Activities
[New]

WILLIAMS, C.B.
* PATTERNS IN THE BALANCE OF NATURE: AND R [Used]
Williams, C. B.
* Patterns In The Balance Of Nature And Related Problems In
Quantitative
Ecology [Used]

Milne, Lorus & Margery) Krutch, Joseph Wood ed
* Patterns of Survival (Prentice Hall Series in Nature and Natural
History)

>For those who wonder what the heck I'm talking about...I'm talking about
>pattern languages as described and exemplified in "The Timeless Way of
>Building" by Christopher Alexander and "A Pattern Language" by Alexander,
>Ishikawa and Silverstein with Jacobson, Fiksdahl-King and Angel. Great
>stuff! I think their approach could be of benefit to perma-culture.
>
>John Schinnerer
>Cultural & Ecological Designing
>Human Habitat Design
>john@eco-living.net
>http://eco-living.net

Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lflondon@mindspring.com
london@metalab.unc.edu
http://www.ibiblio.org/london

  • Re: Permaculture pattern languages?, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 10/07/2000