permaculture - Re: Wild Grape Vine

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Wild Grape Vine
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:31:25 -0400

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:36:33 EDT, FranksFarm@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 8/30/00 10:14:58 AM, lflondon@mindspring.com writes:

><< Cut some trees away from it so it can get more light, fertilize &
>prune it, then harvest a bounty of wild grapes: scuppernong, muscadine
>or fox grapes (small but look like purple muscadines)

> Huh...these vines
>need something to climb on and send up shoots to the canopy for light. I
>very
>seldom seeing them growing on forest floor.

If you can get the vines _out_ of the tree(s) that might be a good
idea. You could then prune it, maybe severely, then build an arbor of
cedar logs and begin to train it to grow on this new support. You'd
then be able to maintain and harvest easily. This may be possible
regardless of the size of the vine. As a last resort leave it on the
tree but remove nearby trees so it will have adequate light; then
train as many of the vines as possible to grow closer to the ground.
Then fertilize and mulch the main vine(s).

>Hmm...I wonder what kind of grapes I have. haven't noticed any lately. But

A purple grape with inedible skins, thick pulp and plenty of big
seeds. Delicious eating grape, good for jelly, wine and vinegar too.

Just don't cut it down. :-)

>many of these vines only leaf out in tops of trees..often 30+ feet above the
>ground.

See above.

You could put a ladder up then actually sever all vines as far up as
you can reach. Then remove the remaining live vines from the tree
(may have to cut the tree down - this may be necessary so you will be
able to build a proper arbor close enough to the vine), fertilize,
prune and train on arbor.

LL

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm ICQ#27930345
lflondon@mindspring.com london@metalab.unc.edu
http://metalab.unc.edu/ecolandtech Ecolandtech
http://metalab.unc.edu/permaculture Permaculture
http://metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO

  • Re: Wild Grape Vine, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 08/30/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Wild Grape Vine, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 08/30/2000