percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Percy & McCarthy?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: WILLIAM E LEWIS <welewis AT wisc.edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Percy & McCarthy?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 17:47:05 +0000

In one of his letters to Percy, Shelby Foote recommended Blood Meridian (though he did so with the caveat that "you're likely to despise it"). One of the greatest examples of commerce between the two minds (if not necessarily between the two men) is this line from Blood Meridian:

A man's at odds to know his mind cause his mind is aught he has to know it with,

I can't think of a better paraphrase of the predicament that lies at the heart of Percy's work.

William E. Lewis, Ph.D.

Space Science and Engineering Center

University of Wisconsin-Madison

1225 West Dayton St