percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Percy & McCarthy?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: RHONDA MCDONNELL <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Percy & McCarthy?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 17:22:04 +0000

Great question! I did a little sleuthing. Percy had The Orchard Keeper and Blood Meridian in his collection, which is now housed at the UNC-Chapel Hill Wilson library. I'm not yet living close enough to Chapel Hill to check whether there are indications that Percy read the books. I wonder if he ever mentioned McCarthy in his later interviews? As for McCarthy, in the article , "The Intertextual 'Suttree': Walker Percy, Cummings, and Community," Scott D. Yarborough argues that The Last Gentleman has a profound intertextual relationship to Suttree. That suggests that McCarthy read some Percy. I think they would have liked each other's work, but I can't be sure. Not without a lot more research. What does anyone else know?

Rhonda McDonnell
Member of the Institute for Studies in Pragmaticism
Texas Tech University

"You live in a deranged age, more deranged than usual, because in spite of great scientific and technological advances, man has not the faintest idea of who he is or what he is doing." ~Walker Percy~